A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Days 1096 - 1102 Sunday, March 20, 2011 - Saturday, March 26 , 2011

Days 1096 - 1102 Sunday, March 20, 2011 - Saturday, March 26 , 2011



Day 1096 ( 3 YEARS!!! / Spring ting continuation)
Sunday, March 20, 2011

Finally I got back my Internet so I'm back again.

So Its three years now I'm living in Japan. Still can't believe it. In Japanese they would say shinjirarenai. My plan was to stay here only 1 year. But Japan grew on me, that's all I can say for now. The job I currently have is the longest one I have ever held on to since I started working any at all.

{As I type this, I am currently compiling a video of my 3 years. I hope I will get to finish it before I leave this area, as I am already again late with my update, and the moving trucks should be arriving today (as in while I'm typing this on Wednesday, March 30, 2011) yikes!!!}

Further to the above paragraph, unfortunately I lost all the data from my external hard drive in the re-location process, so I cannot produce that video. But I will upload a brief clip of random final moments in Niimi, Okayama. Here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTSdYWYqsk




Any way Today (as in my blog
entry day March 20, 2011) ... was the second day of the Spring ting business organized by the Jamaicans in Japan. We were placed in houses based on the colours of the Jamaican flag. I was in green house, and there is a certain smell associated with said colour in Jamaican culture. Not a good smell. So the other houses used this to their advantage with their taunting and jeers.

Each house had kitchen duty to cook and another would clean up afterwards. My house was to make breakfast this morning. The organizers told us we should wake up from 5am and start preparing the coal, pots and food etc. I didn't wake up until about 6:30 am.. another guy in the house didn't wake up until about 8am.

Later we had sports day. We started off with cheer leading Here.. ........ then with the main events. I entered the kanji race, which we won and the relay which we came second because I accidentally dropped the baton :p ... Our house came second over all. After sports day we had lunch then school challenge quiz.


The teams were to have at least 1 Jamaican, 1 Japanese, and 1 person from any other country, but 5 in all. Again my house came second.... We then had a verrrrry late dinner, then a party in the night, that went on until about 2:00am or 3:00am. At the party, a certificate was given to all non-Jamaicans who were present. A certificate stating that they are "honorary Jamaicans".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1097 ( Heading back from the camp )

Monday, March 21, 2011

Today was a holiday, so we were all still at the camp. I forgot to mention that my phone had no signal where the camp site was. Not only mine but also 90% of the persons who were there
as well. Most foreigners use a phone company called softbank. So for 2 and a half days we had almost no contact with the outside world where phone is concerned. But it was welcomed somewhat.

We then left the camp area one by one. Me and my other friend got driven back to Okayama with the Japanese couple who took us there.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day 1098 ( Tuesday Night English Conversation bye bye )
Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Went to work and got presents from the students. The grade 3 students even made pizza for me. I had to do a short speech in Japanese in front of the entire school again just like last year. Only this time it was good bye speech.

In the night I went to a dinner party which was organized by the Tuesday, evening English conversation people. A lady that normally come to the English conversation, sang a Japanese song for me with a Japanese guitar (shamisen) and the others joined in. I also got some goodbye cards and some random presents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1099 (Last Day at Nochi) Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Went to my very first graduation ceremony while living in Japan. It was tear jerking but I held out. I got presents from the teachers and students and had to give a good bye speech again which was difficult.

In the evening, I had dinner with the principal of my main school and his wife. He told me that in all his years of teaching and administration, he has never met an English teacher like me. And said he would place me as number 1. It was humbling and really touched my heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1100 { Last Day at Yagami / Goodbye to my TV show staff }
Thursday, March 24, 2011

Got a couple of goodbye gifts from the students and teachers at my main school today. They had a brief farewell party like thing in the principal's office for me, where we had cake. They gave me 2 specially made cups there.

In the evening, I had dinner with my camera man, his boss and some other actors from my tv show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1101 ( Orthodontist Goodbye/Last Karate in Niimi/Last Friday English Conversation/ Darts bar Party )
Friday, March 25, 2011

Today was the last day of my 2010-2011 contract but I had no work. So I went to my orthodontists in Okayama city for a final teeth evaluation. I then had dinner with another one of the orthodontist who is half Japanese / Half Mexican.

I then rushed from Okayama city to Niimi, to go to my last karate training in Niimi, then from there to say goodbye to the people at my friend's Friday English conversation class.

















This was followed by me rushing to a party at the darts bar. What a busy day it was.






















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1102 ( Kids Lesson / Goodbye to another friend )
Saturday, March 26, 2011


A lady from my friend's Friday evening English conversation, asked me to be a special guest at a kids class she was having today. All I needed to do was to give the kids some sweets when they asked me for it in English.

In the evening, I had dinner with one of my closest Japanese friends in Niimi. The guy whose father taught me Japanese. I almost shed a tear again while I was saying good bye to them. But again I held out.


































Yes Kenroy, I had to write about it. Long time mi nuh experience dis kinda vibez yuh know.

Dwayne, if you are a twin and used to live in Waterford, then I know who you are. Bro to live in Japan full time is a serious commitment. The main thing is that you have to be tolerant, very tolerant. You will never be fully accepted as a foreigner in the Japanese society, however, some people are really nice and the place is peaceful etc. Read these blog posts that I made on it..

Part 1
http://davecollyjap.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-456-exhausted-general-things.html

Part 2
http://davecollyjap.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-457-general-things-foreigners-must.html

Part 3
http://davecollyjap.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-460-general-things-foreigners-must.html

Part 4
http://davecollyjap.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-461-very-genki-3-yo-general-things.html


Hey Latasha thanks for your post. If you need help with anything let me know.

3 comments:

Latasha said...

it seems i have pretty big shoes to fill :3 thanks for the offer. i`ll keep it in mind

dwayne2d3d said...

お早うDave..
Yes i am a twin and i did live in Waterford. However i've been in America since 11 years old. I'm guessing it's my brother that you know. He only recently came to America to live, i will tell him about you the next time i speak to him....

Thanks for your link, i have read you whole blog already though. It took me like 5 whole days (lol)

Anyway to be truthful, nothing about Japan and the way the people are concern me, my biggest issue is job security. So i think i phrased my original question wrong to you, so sorry.

My intention is to come there and live, but i would like to know how job security is. Because if i leave America to work there, and my job let me go i would have to go back to Jamaica. Any answers that you can give me in terms of job security would be great....

Thanks in advance because i know that you are very busy....気をつけって

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave...wha happen to ur external drive??