A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sky Planetarium / Visit to Nara


Days 1138 - 1144
Sunday, May 1
, 2011 - Saturday, May 7, 2011


Day 1138 { Chinese Friend in Tokyo / Mori Tower }
Sunday, May 1, 2011

Over the three (3) years I spent in Niimi, Okayama, I managed to gather friends and acquaintances from different countries. One such friend is a Chinese girl who would visit the church I went to while living in Niimi. She now lives in Tokyo and studying some fashion stuff. We decided to meet today for lunch and to walk around a bit.

We first went to an area in Tokyo called Roppongi Hills (I went here in December 2010 also) to the 5th tallest building in Japan. It has 52 floors and is known as the Roppongi Hills Mori Tower.


From this sky scraper, you can see pretty much all of the Tokyo metropolitan area. The current tallest tower in the world, (Tokyo Sky tree) can also be seen from there, as well as the Tokyo tower which is the 24th tallest tower in the world. Me and my friend then went to see some outer space simulation stuff, including a remodel of the visible universe. This 30 mins presentation of sorts is called the "Sky Planetarium" It was amazing. It accurately shows 5.6 million stars http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fq20110107a1.html known as mega star.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1139 { Missed the Bus }

Monday, May 2, 2011

Today was like a combo breaker in what could have been a long holiday. Last week Friday was basically the start of the golden week holidays, then there was Saturday, Sunday then today which is not a holiday. But Tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday are holidays, then this Friday is another combo breaker. Tomorrow, I should be heading for another prefecture called Nara (via the night bus tonight), which was a very old capital of Japan, back in like year 694, more than 1300 years ago.

So I went to work today, left after 4 classes, then pretty much spent the rest of the time reading random crap on cracked.com .... There was never a better name for that site. And its a bad idea to start reading this stuff if you have places to go. It has some really interesting stuff that is both funny, and surprisingly educational.

Like check out this video of how close the plane went to the people by the beach in St. Maartin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo&feature=player_embedded

I spent a good 4-5 hours just reading through some stuff that was on the website. I didn't realize that at certain times in the night, the train schedules are changed up a bit. I took it for granted that I am only 15 minutes from the main Yokohama station. I started rushing like crazy, only to realize that the fastest train would even make me 1 minute late for the night bus. I called the bus company to tell them I will be a bit late, but they said that they will leave EXACTLY on time. I still went to Yokohama expecting a miracle but the bus was already gone. :( cracked.com was the cause. I plan to ask them for at least a half refund though. The only other option now is to take the super speed train tomorrow morning, with loads and loads of people, because all Japanese people take holidays only on public holidays... and when there is a public holiday, EVERYWHERE is filled with people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1140 { Heading for Nara }
Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Woke up at about 6 am and headed out to take the fast train to Osaka, then head from there to Nara, the old capital. I had to stand on the super speed train for about 2hrs 30mins, because as expected, it was filled with people staring at me from every angle.

I then met up a friend of mine at a place name Shin-Osaka and we went to Nara from there.

I ran into a couple of other friends in Nara, including a Mexican/American girl I met recently at the Jamaica camp thing in March. Also saw a teacher who was working in Niimi. She said her daughter lives in Nara.

Nara is famous for 6 things that I can think of. Namely:
1) Being an old capital of Japan (694-784) 2) Deer
3) Deer feces

4) A very big statue of buddha
5) Temples and shrines
6) Loads of World Heritage sites

I saw many a deer in the area while walking towards the big statue of buddha. I wanted to see what this excitement was about. So I went to the big buddha place known as Todaiji. I also went to this other area where you can view different parts of Nara. I bought a wooden sword there.






















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1141 (Still in Nara)
Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Went to view some more shrines and temples and deer around Nara. Also went to a Thailand style restaurant to have lunch. It was absolutely delicious.

Also went on this slope where a better view of Nara and other parts of the prefecture can be seen. A couple of deer are also there as well. I was desperately trying to avoid stepping on deer pooh, but that proved impossible.

It is evident that Nara is a very quiet city. This is a place to relax and enjoy nature. but there are always lots of people going to the temples and shrines, so it can be busy as well. This was a good get away from the earthquake stuff in Yokohama. Speaking of which, I haven't felt one in more than a week. New record since I moved to Yokohama.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1142 { Heading Back from Nara / New Printer}
Thursday, May 5, 2011

I have been sneezing and coughing since last Thursday, and I some how refuse to visit the doctor and hope that whatever this is, goes away naturally.

Anyway, started heading back to Yokohama and this time, I got a seat after sitting between train carts for about 30 minutes. I got back to Yokohama in the afternoon at around 4 pm and in true Dave form, I got on a wrong train. Luckily that train didn't move of, and I saw the right train pulled up shortly after.

I ended up buying a new HP B210 all in one printer/scanner. Cost only 8000 yen, and I don't need to connect it via a USB, its wireless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1143 { Small Earthquake in Jamaica }
Friday, May 6, 2011

Heard there was a small earthquake in Jamaica. I also saw it on my earthquake application. It was a magnitude 4.2. This is a regular occurrence in the region of Japan where I am now.


The Prime minister of Japan has been loosing popularity more and more. Even before the earthquake, but that made matters worsen. Its so bad that the person who was giving him advice on the radiation stuff resigned. Not a good sign at all.


Kan nuclear adviser fed up, quits



Prime Minister Naoto Kan defended his government's handling of the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 plant on Saturday, a day after one of his advisers on the emergency vowed to resign in protest at what he called the state's lax response.

Kosako told the government Friday he will resign as Kan's adviser.
"The government has belittled laws and taken measures only for the present moment, resulting in delays in bringing the situation under control," Kosako said.
It is extremely rare for an intellectual adviser appointed by the prime minister to resign in protest at measures the government has taken.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110501a2.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1144 { One more Interview }
Saturday, May 7, 2011

Today, I stayed in for the most part. But, later in the afternoon I went to another interview for teaching privately. I think it went pretty well. They said they will inform me as soon as a student(s) is willing to let me teach them or even talk with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave, what you plan to do with he sword? You know is he'll to get that into Jamaica. You going to have to contact the Ministry of Security for a permit...and will have to dull it before carrying it.....

That is if you coming back anyway ;)