A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, January 2, 2012

More on Okinawa Trip / Last Days of 2011

Days 1376 - 1382
Sunday, December 25, 2011 - Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 1376 ( Merry Christmas / Okinawa Day 2-Nago )
Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas to you all. This morning I woke up at the Miyako hotel in Naha, Okinawa and had a great breakfast there. Oh and the stares were very much present. I also thought that Okinawa would greet me with less stares because a huge US base is there. But alas, no such luck.

After breakfast, I headed out to another part of Okinawa called Nago. I drove for about 1hr 30 mins then finally got there. I visited another aquarium. The best one of the 5 that I have visited thus far in Japan. The name of this one was CHURAUMI SUIZOKUKAN ( Beautiful sea aquarium ). Here are the pictures I took there and 2 videos.
























                 































Here is a video of the dolphin show. The first 47 seconds has no sound, I don't know why. I used my phone to do that first 47 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoFsBJEJkQ

After spending some time at the aquarium, I went with my friend to a restaurant out in the middle of no where. The restaurant was nice but it was in some rural area that look like the country parts of Jamaica. Luckily the car had a GPS system and my Japanese friend knew how to set the directions on it.




After the restaurant, I went to a hotel name Resonex. This hotel was nice also, but I had to park across the road from the hotel because the main parking area was full.

                               
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1377 ( Okinawa Day 3 - Okinawan Village )
Monday, December 26, 2011

Had breakfast at the Resonex hotel in Nago this morning. The ambiance wasn't as good as Miyako hotel, but here, the people didn't stare at me as much. And because this hotel is by the beach side, the view from my hotel room was MAGNIFICENT.... I took these pictures before I checked out of the hotel. The bottom 2 pictures of these 4, I actually took with my phone's camera.... I had no idea they would be this beautiful.



                                

After checking out of the hotel, I went to an Okinawan village name Ryukyu mura (village).  Took some pictures in a traditional Okinawan robe looking thing and a crown. Then watched a presentation about some Okinawan snakes called habu.

Here is another video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYss8Dt0X4













After the village, I went to the main castle in Okinawa name Shurijo (Shuri castle). It was the main castle of the Ryukyu Kingdom, before Japan captured the islands.



                 















After visiting the Shuri castle, I went to my final hotel of this trip. The name of the hotel is Nahana hotel, which is in the central part of Naha, the capital of Okinawa. This was also a very nice hotel. In the night, I walked to international street, the same place I went to on the first day I came here. I then met up with a friend of my friend, and we all had dinner.













~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1378 ( Leaving Okinawa :(    )
Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Woke up at Nahana hotel and had breakfast there. Not so much stares at this hotel either. Drove from the hotel to get gas so I could return the rent-a-car with a full tank. Gas is expensive on this island. I then delivered the car back to the rental agency. They checked it, it was fine and I headed on the bus to go to the airport.

Took JAL (Japan Airlines) flight back to Osaka and it took only about 1 hr 45mins as against 2hrs 30 mins to get to Okinawa. It has something to do with the wind direction, strength and speed at the time. Eventually landed in Osaka and went to an outlet mall called Rinku town mall. I bought an Adidas sneakers there as well as a warm vest looking shirt thing.














~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1379 ( Back to Yokohama / Toyota's President on Watch List )
Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Took a shinkansen (Bullet/high speed train) back to Yokohama. I spoke to my dad today. Haven't spoken to him in over a year. His birthday was on December 26th.

Toyota's President on watch list


The Wall Street Journal picked Akio Toyoda, president of Toyota Motor Corp., as one of 12 Corporate Executives to Watch Next Year on Friday, saying that 2012 may be a "make or break year" for the chief of Japan's top automaker.
In its Asian edition for Friday to Monday, the U.S. business daily noted that Toyoda has pledged to keep producing 3 million vehicles in Japan annually at a time when its domestic rivals are rushing to move production offshore to offset the strong yen.
"Is what's good for Japan good for Toyota and vice versa?" asked the paper, referring to Toyoda's vow to halt Japan's hollowing out and lift Toyota's low stock price.
Among other executives named were Apple Inc.'s CEO Tim Cook, Cyrus Mistry, who is set to become chairman of Indian conglomerate Tata Group next year, and Fu Chengyu, chairman of Chinese petroleum and chemicals company Sinopec.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20111231a1.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1380 ( Another Visit to Akihabara )
Thursday, December 29, 2011

Went to Akihabara and bought an air humidifier and a heater. The air humidifier takes out the dryness from my apartment. Whenever I use the AC to heat up my apartment, it makes my eyes and my throat severely dry. So this humidifier thing should add some moisture to the apartment.


















I then visited a Japanese lady who lived and worked in Clarendon, Jamaica for 2 years. She now lives in Tokyo and is married to a Jamaican. They had a child recently. Her husband is the main cook at a Jamaican restaurant in Shibuya, Tokyo.

After visiting her, I went to the Jamaica restaurant where her husband works. The name of the restaurant is "Good Wood" Restaurant. I know Jamaicans who read this will immediately begin to have naughty thoughts. But the name of the area is actually "Good Wood Terrace" and yes it is in Japan. To add to this is that, this area is actually a red light district where women will try to pick up men.

Anyway, I have been to several Jamaican restaurants in Japan, one in Okayama (Xyamaica), one in Nagoya, one in Kobe, one in Harajuku, Tokyo (Jam Rock) and one in Kyoto. This one in Shibuya has by far the best tasting food and came the closest to the real Jamaican taste. Seconded by the one in Harajuku, Tokyo.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1381 ( Another Visit to Kamakura )
Friday, December 30, 2011

When I went to Tokyo yesterday, another Japanese who worked in Jamaica for 2 years was also there. She worked in Montego Bay as an art and craft teacher for special children. In summer we also met up with her friend who is married to an American. So we all met up again in Kamakura (An old capital of Japan), not too far from where I live.

5 of us met up and had lunch, walked around and chatted for a while. I always heard rumors that we could see mount Fuji (the tallest mountain in Japan) from this distance, but it was only today I knew the rumors were true. I took the photo below as evidence.



















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1382 ( Back to Jamaican Restaurant in Good Wood Terrace, Shibuya )
Saturday, December 31, 2011

Went to the Jamaican restaurant again because the food was soo good. I had stewed chicken this time. Last time I had jerk chicken.

I rang in the new year at the restaurant drinking tequilla ... with about 20 other persons.

Let me see if I can recall my New Years while living in Japan:

2008-2009 - Fukuoka, Japan (at a club)

2009-2010 - Manila, Philippines (at a mall with fire works)

2010-2011 - Maniwa, Okayama, Japan ( At a wedding party)

2011-2012 - Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan (At a Jamaican Restaurant)

Wow in Jamaica it was almost always at my church.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ... More Prosperity for 2012

2 comments:

Niki said...

New Kingston has a jerk place called Sweet Wood so it isn't that far off and those pics are gorgeous

Jamaipanese said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR BRO!