A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 477 { Taking Football To Serious/Wolverine/ Ethnic Riot In China } Thursday, July 9, 2009


Day 477 { Taking Football To Serious/Wolverine/Ethnic Riot In China }

The kids at my school today, gave me this sweet syrup and crushed ice thing which is a summer favourite in Japan. Its called something like katigouri....
Later on I went to football and I realise that my team has been taking this thing wayyy more serious than the foreigners. Maybe thats why they put us on the B-Team. For the first time, one of my team mates started to direct me on the field as to when to attack and when to do what.... I was saying to myself " What is wrong with this guy, we are only playing for fun". I guess they are taking it to another level. They even invited this very very good soccer player guy to come on our team. I think he scored about 7 goals on the opposing team. I scored either 1 or 2. Maybe they didn't count the second goal because apparently I fouled a guy on the other team that I was totally on aware of. After I scored that questionable goal, I saw the guy on the floor seemingly in pain, and about 5 other guys including some guys from my team, surrounding him and asking him if he is fine....

I was totally unaware of this, and the same guy who was directing me earlier, told me to cool down and play a little softer ???? All this has been getting on my nerves, but maybe I am too thin-skinned (easily angered) as one of my long time ex-girlfriends told me.

Wolverine X-Men Origins

After football, I ended up watching Wolverine-X-Men Origins, which I initially thought was going to be absolutely terrible, which is why I waited so long to watch it. But to my surprise it wasn't as bad as I imagined.... It was bad, but not as bad as I expected. Some of the action scenes were pretty amazing.... However, some of the acting was terrible !!! The fight between wolverine, Sabre tooth and that strange mutant creation thing was pretty entertaining to me.





Ethnic Riot In China

Sobbing Muslim women scuffled with riot police, and Chinese men wielding steel pipes and meat cleavers rampaged through the streets as ethnic tensions worsened in China's oil-rich Xinjiang territory, prompting President Hu Jintao to cut short a G8 summit trip Wednesday. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31753771/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Boisterous crowds turned up at mosques in riot-hit parts of this western Chinese city, ignoring orders canceling Friday prayers due to the ethnic violence, and police quickly broke up a small protest nearby.

Nearly a week after riots in Xinjiang unleashed clashes and drew a massive security response, the U.S. national security adviser told Chinese diplomats on the sidelines of the Group of Eight summit in Italy that President Obama expects Beijing to act with "appropriate restraint."

Xinhua News Agency reported Friday that the death toll in the ethnic rioting had risen from 156 to 184.

The dead included 137 people -- 111 men and 26 women -- from the dominant ethnic Han Chinese group. The agency said the other fatalities include 46 Uighurs and one man from the Hui ethnic group. Xinhua said the Muslim Uighur victims include 45 men and one woman.

It is the first time China's government has given an ethnic breakdown in the riots.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/11/ethnic-rioting-deaths-jump-to-184/?feat=home_headlines

3 comments:

Vany said...

That would be called, Kakigoori.
It's basically shaved ice with flavored syrup, a favorite treat for the Japanese during these humid summers.
Sno-cone is another name you might be familiar with.

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave...how u behaving like u never used to have Snow-cone in Primary School?
I trying to remember the Jamaican name for it...use to get it in cup with shaved ice and syrup - mhad thing.

I have the entire office trying to remember we call it.

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave...how u behaving like u never used to have that Shave Ice with Syrup drink in Primary School.

I trying to remember the Jamaican name for it but it not coming to my head.

I have the entire office trying to remember the name of it - lol