A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 498 { Jamaica 4 - Revisit Garmex H.E.A.R.T Academy / Meet Sachiyo And Others } Thursday, July 30, 2009



Day 498 { Jamaica 4 - Revisit Garmex H.E.A.R.T Academy / Meet Sachiyo And Others }

Today I went to my old workplace at the Garmex H.E.A.R.T. Academy in Kingston, Jamaica. Most persons were surprised to see me. I sat and chatted with a couple of them for a while, then I did a small presentation about Japan for a class.

Shortly after that, I learnt that one of the guys who has been working there for about 6 years now, will be migrating. So they were having a farewell party for him as today would be his last day there. We played a couple of games as well as ate food etc... They also surprised me by asking me to do a dub poem which had Japanese in it... So I did a version of "Into Japan" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTo56iw2c2E

I then left out before the little party was done because I was supposed to go meet the Japanese author lady who I spoke to on the phone. So I drove to Half way Tree and I was searching for a parking spot in the Pavillion mall area... I eventually found a spot and after parking, I saw my friend from University, Dwayne Williams... I spoke to him for a short while then went to meet Sachiyo. Me and Sachiyo chatted for a little while, then I learnt that it was her who wrote a translation book from Jamaican dialect (patois) to ---> Japanese.... The book has a couple of Jamaican dialect phrases which are translated to Japanese... For example:

Waah Gwaan? (How are you?) ----> げんき ですか? (Genki desuka?)

Mi Kriss man/Mi kool (Im ok) ----> げんき です (Genki desu)

I could not believe that she was the author... The name of her publishing company is mighty mules .....http://www.mightymules.com/
Oh and she is actually from aprefecture which is like nxt door to Okayama, where I live... The name of her prefecture is Kagawa.

I planning to write a book of dub poetry and passionate love poems, so I plan to ask her to deal with the publishing part. Maybe next year or there about I will try to sort this out...
After talking with Sachiyo for a while we went to look at some stuff in a store name Carby's then we ate in KFC... While we were in KFC, I saw my old friend Kadeen who used to work at Maypen Primary, while I was teaching there. I haven't seen her since like early 2006.

After KFC, me and Sachiyo were walking and I was surprised again, when I saw one of my former students at Garmex... We too stopped and chatted then me and Sachiyo went to a very provocative art exhibition. There I met 2 other Japanese persons who were in Jamaica. One is an artist and have been living here in Jamaica for over 20 years....
The other was visiting here from Brooklyn NY... Sachiyo said she is a famous writer....

After all this, I dropped Sachiyo to her house, then I went home.

2 comments:

Beth Peart said...

Any Idea what has happened with Sachiyo? I was corresponding with her from 2004-2010 and after Kingston got locked down that year she seemed to fall of the map. Her web bookstore has a squatter and emails go unanswered and her Facebook page is down. Haven't been able to find out a thing. Any news would be appreciated!

Beth Peart said...

Any Idea what has happened with Sachiyo? I was corresponding with her from 2004-2010 and after Kingston got locked down that year she seemed to fall of the map. Her web bookstore has a squatter and emails go unanswered and her Facebook page is down. Haven't been able to find out a thing. Any news would be appreciated!